The 5 R’s – to reverse chronic pain and for post traumatic growth.
We are living in overwhelm , stress is at all times high and many of us already carry and manage so much, now that we are also the collective stress of the pandemic it can take a toll.
Chronic Fear, stress and Its effects on your state of mode of operation (hypervigilance, overwhelm , freeze , flight and fight) , will weaken your Immunity, create chronic pain and disease and determine your rate of recovery if you do get sick.
I want to share some of the principles of what I teach in my NeuroPath Reset Classes & in sessions and through my programs.
The 5 R’s Principles of NPR METHOD:
- Re-Align – How you hold yourself , your posture , your feet, hips/pelvic , spine and head; can determine and affect your well-being!
Internal factors, emotions, through patterns, beliefs and our diet can influence and will affect your posture, sense of balance, coordination and alignment by creating, or triggering chronic patterns. The story of your life is mapped out in the body, as memories are not just a function of the mind but is stored and managed by the body.
External factors such as our lifestyle, work and home environments, weather, accidents and our relationships can create, contribute and reinforce our posture/alignment.
The Intelligence of the bodymind moves towards protective postures, they require tremendous Innate resources to maintain at the cost of your health. For example many chronic lower back pain is caused by stored and repressed anger and sadness that one has not been able to let go, or process.
In short you can start to change how you feel through changing how you hold yourself.
2. Reset – A reset in your nervous system occurs after you introduce “Ease” into your nervous system and your bodymind responds, with a sigh, a yawn, a smile and a sense of being present in the wholeness of your bodymind. It’s a consequence of regulating the “Rhythm of Operation” (heart rate, brainwave activity, pulse rate, breath rate) .This can be achieved with gentle, mindful movements to “manipulate”, or deceive the nervous system. These movements require assessment, ease, awareness, imagination and breath and are taught to be done as a sequence, or troubleshoot an area. When they are done to you in sessions, they are done methodically and with some techniques that have been created by eastern modalities and western techniques. We concentrate on the Vagus nerve but address all major nerve pathways.
How does that feel? Emotionally You are Calm , relaxed and grounded , physically you have less pain, more range of motion and deep restorative sleep.
3. Release – When your nervous system achieves a Reset, your body is ready to release what it has been “managing” for you. In particular , The abdomen, the domain of your visceral pain , is where your gut wrenching experiences, your stress, emotions and anxieties are stored; your 3rd brain is ready to release the day to day and the accumulation . In my classes and in my one on one sessions, I teach how to do that safely. These emotions, or memories can be entangles, create knots, pressure, pain, symptoms and disorders both in the abdominal cavity but referred elsewhere in the body. With empathetic presence, mindful touch and other methods/tools offered when can start to truly let go what has been unprocessed, managed and repressed.
At this point allowing emotions to flow, moving them with movement (exercise, walking, yoga , dance , stretching , sound) can help to continue the process tremendously. When the body releases there is so much clarity that comes after the process. Realizations are made, more clarity is provided to you within and the pain changes, or disappeared with it. Sometime when more processing is required, talking to counselor, or psychologist is can be very helpful.
4. Resiliency – When fear takes a hold of us and we succumb to a state of stress it will weaken us in every level of our being , in every system in the body as internal and external input overwhelms us, We become less resilient to triggers, emotional storms and viral pathogens . You ARE in CONTROL when you start to control your breath, you start to control your bodymind.
I have been a fan and a practitioner of breathwork and meditation for over 20 years, doing in my 20’s 8 x 10 day silent retreats, of Vipassana where you use the awareness of your breath and body to understand the bodymind. I have studies many yogic breathwork, tibetan, kundalini and many others. A few years ago trying to change my aversion to the cold and the winter and become more resilient to fear, I studied with Wim Hof , The IceMan. His method of breathwork and cold exposure allows you to build strong resilience and has been proven by scientists to boost Immunity and develop extreme resilience.
This vast system of blood vessels – arteries, veins, and capillaries – is over 60,000 miles long. That’s long enough to go around the world more than twice! Blood flows continuously through your body’s blood vessels. It gets atrophied due to chronic states, traumas, and ongoing struggle, hence systemic inflammation is created which is a breeding ground for disease and chronic pain. Many of us heard exercise is great for your health and vitality and builds strength, but in actuality the right breathwork is even more effective when done under supervision and methodically.
5. Re-Integration – Is the sum of the first 4 R’s and the beginning of a natural innate movement towards homeostasis, healing and change; I call it “Falling back into yourself”. As if you are returning back “home” experience, the home is you without the noise, the pain, the identification and distortions of your pain narrative that affects your body, life and future. This is when a path of action is laid in front of you and the seeds of your desires can grow. This is where your Innate “Power” is felt and you feel empowered, You can see the necessity of your pain journey, your past and everything that you had to go through. You reclaim parts of you that you have lost and grow in other ways that you have desired, or never knew waswas possible.
Working with these 5 principles in an embodied way, in the way that you experience them through your body, seems so real and tangible it gives hope, inspiration, renewed will, impetus and evidence that you are changing and moving towards, resolution, purpose and your greatness.
I am honored to be a witness, a guide, to create space, teach, coach and facilitate this daily for myself and those who come to see me.